Monday, July 30, 2007

The Many Indignities of New York City

I have discovered that as the days draw nearer to our departure from New York, the less I am able to tolerate the thousands of indignities that New Yorkers are constantly subjected to. For eight years, which happens to be all of my post-college adult life, I have sung the praises of New York; it truly has become my home and I am, of course, scared and reluctant to leave. It is at times both horrific and majestic, filled with mystery and misery. To be concise, I am a city-boy at heart, even though I hail from the suburbs and in general loathe other people.

But that does not mean that I do not have the right to be treated with respect. And who is capable of hurling insult after injury upon New Yorkers better than the MTA?

This weekend, as many other weekends in the past, the F train was running on the V in the Queens-bound direction. When that happens, a straphanger can do one of two things to get to Roosevelt Island: either take the F all the way into Jackson Heights and transfer to a Manhattan-bound train, or get off at 53rd and Lexington and walk to the Tram. For able-bodied persons, the latter is the better option.

Unless you listen to the announcements. At every stop starting at 14th St. the conductor informed us that, to get to Roosevelt Island, one should get off at Queens Plaza and take the shuttle bus the MTA has graciously provided for affected passengers. Oh glory days! A shuttle bus! That wasn't sarcasm; to me, above ground is always preferable to below. So we stayed on the train.

And the shuttle bus would have been a great option. If there had been a shuttle bus. See, when we got off the train and asked the attendant to give us a shuttle bus ticket, he informed us that there wasn't one and he had no idea why we thought there would be one and that we would have to get back onto the train, which had now departed, and take it to Jackson Heights and switch trains.

I understand service interruption; it is a necessary evil when it comes to public transportation. I begrudgingly accept poorly worded signs alerting me of such changes. What I do not accept is being lied to. And the worst part is, no one cares. The conductors don't care; the attendants don't care; the MTA certainly doesn't care. And you can't complain to anyone. Well, I mean you can certainly complain to people (I suggest your co-workers and/or loved-ones) but you aren't going to get any retribution.

That's why you should focus your energy on complaining about things that can have satisfactory outcomes. Like when a taxi waits until the last minute, after the lanes have split, to get into the exit lane on the BQE, rather than wait in the long line of cars like a respectable human beings do, and you have a cell phone and his easy-to-remember 4 digit license plate, you can file a reckless driving claim on his ass with the TLC. That, my friends, is satisfying.

I am, of course, terrified that my general rage at people who do things that piss me off is going to be turned into road-rage that will get me injured. But I am counting on the general passivity and cordiality of Southerners to keep me sane in the Carolinas; but a more likely scenario is that their general lackadaisical congeniality will, um, piss me off.

No comments: