Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Fine Dining...

This week is Restaurant Week, and so the boy and I decided to have lunch a V as well as Nougatine at Jean-Georges, and what I came out of the experience is that Mr. V prefers his diners to be uncomfortable with no where to comfortable put their feet.

Given that, I have to say that my food was excellent. At V on Monday I started with the celery root and chestnut soup with pancetta, warm and nummy. I followed with the Neiman Ranch steak and sweet potato fripps. The steak came with a delicious carmel soy sauce that was a pleasant blend of savory and sweet and the meat itself was grilled to rare perfection. For dessert, a banana strudel. Simply divine, even if the gold leaf all over the place was a bit tacky.

I much prefered my lunch today at Nougatine, however, even though the tables were even worse for comfort. I started with the parsnip soup, with citrus aspic, tangy croutons and baby cilantro. God I love parsnips. I followed with a breast of chicken in a mushroom glaze over a bed of wild mushrooms, spinach and turnips. Also divine.

Now I'm off to our departmental opening where I hope to get pleasantly smashed on wine so I can forget the fact that my neck has become about half an inch bigger than my collar.

No comments: