Monday, April 12, 2004

From the Mouths of Babes

So I was riding the 6 train around midnight last night and there were a couple of young girls, maybe 7 or 8 years old, in their Easter best, amusing the rest of the train with their loud antics. Their young mother was sitting across from them, attempting to get them to quiet. But they were having none of that. At one point, they began to do one of those hand-clapping, rhyme games ala "Miss Lucy Had a Steamboat," etc.

It kept getting funnier and funnier as the other riders began to stifle full-on guffaws. At one point, their song went like this: "My mom drinks too much alcohol / Now she's peeing down the hall." I laughed out loud. The mother, visibly disturbed, asked through awkward laughter, "Where did you hear that?"

The girl looked her mother right in the eye and without missing a beat answered with a smile, "I made that one up myself."

No comments: