Friday, May 21, 2004

To Move or Not To Move...

My lab has been in a temporary, window-less hell-hole for over a year now, while our previous hell-hole was being turned into the Taj Mahal, complete with marble floors, mahogany walls and wavy, modern ceilings. We have been told, repeatedly, that we would be moving very soon. Our first offical date was in March. Remember March? Three months ago? Have you heard me blog about my new palatial space? No? Right...

Our last official date was May 17. Maybe I was too wrapped up with the fags getting married and missed the move? Nope. If it did happen on May 17, everyone else missed it too. But now nobody's saying anything official. In fact, nobody's saying anything it all. You see there are known knowns and there are known unknowns. For instance, we know that we know that we have to move before June 1. That is a known known. We know that we have absolutely no idea exactly when we are going to move. That is a known unknown. But there are also unknown unknowns. These I cannot speculate on.

All I do know is that we have no idea when we're going to be moving so I've been working under immense tension. I'm ready to receive a phone call any second now informing me that the movers are on their way and I better be ready to go right now. Which means I'd have to drop everything and shut my rig down immediately. But I can't preemptively stop experimenting because I theoretically have a good week left of work in me, depending on whenever the hell the Powers That Be decide it's time to go.

Life is becoming increasingly surreal. I'm half expecting to wake up one morning next to Suzanne Plachette and realize it's all just been a bad dream.

No comments: