Wednesday, March 24, 2004

League of Nations That Think Like Us

I've been saying for years that the United States should pull out of the U.N. and make it's own international body, ever since I watched the austere body back in action during my Model U.N. days in high school. (The only thing I really got out of that experience besides a trip to Boston was a nation-wide poll on the underwear choices of the male delegates and the perfection of my cruel streak ending in strangled sobs from a fellow classmate on the bus ride home (Peter Reichenberger, wherever you are, I'm actually not all that sorry). I think we were Zimbabawe. And I made friends with Jordan who was this chick from Ohio or somewhere vaguely midwestern.)

Anyway, apparently now a new Community of Democracies is being test-driven, right here in the actual United Nations. Who knew? And it's about time. I mean, how can you take an organization seriously when Libya is heading up the Human Rights Commission.

"United Nations" is an oxymoron. Democracies and dictatorships are mongoose and cobra, with no real hope of uniting except opportunistically. But a community of democracies—that might just work. It already works in NATO and the E.U. The new community is a fledgling, but many readers of this article may live to see it soar.
Well, here's hopin'....

No comments: