Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Name That Demographic

I had an unusual realization last night. I ended up staying up until 3am watching a lot of HBO's Oz (I'd never seen the final season), a violent prison drama with lots of blood, gore and horribly tragic things happening. More or less it's a soap opera for guys. And by guys I always thought guy's guys; you know, really manly men.

But last night something gave me pause. Full frontal male nudity. Graphic anal sodomy. Frequent oral sex complete with money shots. And special guest stars Ben "Pippin" Vereen, Joel "Cabaret" Grey, Patti "Evita" LuPone and Betty "Cats" Buckley, not to mention full time cast member Rita "The Ritz" Moreno. Each and every one a Tony winner. Oh, and they had a musical episode once in which Father Ray sings Tori Amos' "Leather."

I'm no longer sure which men this show is for...

No comments: