Thursday, March 18, 2004

Television With Pity

Since I'm going to a couple parties this weekend, I decided to forego Irish festivities last night for a quiet evening at home in front of the tellie. In an attempt to veg out, I ended up learning a lot about the world and myself included.

First, I'm becoming entirely too liberal. Some of you may remember my debacle with presidentmatch.com a few weeks back and my brief romance with Leibermania. Of course, this could all be because my only two actual sources of television news are a) Bill O'Reilly who's arrogance and idiocy just make me angry and b) The Daily Show, which makes me laugh. So I've inadvertantly begun to lean a little more left than usual. Really what I'm looking for is a political party that supports a nice, hard, kick-their-collective-asses policy on the War on Terror *and* doesn't want to ban homosexuals from Tennessee. Is that too much to ask?

Another thing that I'm looking for is an American Idol results show that doesn't last 45 minutes longer than it should. And the Idols are just boring this year. I'm siding with Simon on this one and saying it's going to be Jon Peter Lewis, except I can't fully support someone who's Idol is Forrest Gump. I really hope he was being ironic. On the plus side, Ryan Seacrest did a decent job of trying to sync a live recap voiceover. Kudos.

I also discovered the greatest awards show on television: The TV Land Awards, where aging stars like Barbara Eden and Layrry Hagman give out awards for television performances from 40 years ago. Hosted by that tall guy from Raymond!

Morever, I have further proof that Comedy Central is truly for stoners, since this is what they're advertising now.

Lastly, I must lament South Park. It's become formulaic and to give them credit, they have admitted it on screen. Now call me crazy, but I prefered it when it was just a bit more random and subtler with its satire. The underpants gnomes as a critique of the dot-com industry = good. Criticism of American's screwed up views on violence and sex by having Cartman cross a stage naked and call it a "wardrobe malfunction" = tired and unoriginal. I still laughed my ass off, though.

No comments: